If you find our content useful, please consider donating.
2C-B commonly comes in the form of a pill or a powder (pills are usually white but can be any colour) and is often sold as ecstasy in the underground rave scene, despite being a very distinct substance with markedly different effects at higher doses.
At lower doses, the experience can in fact be similar to ecstasy, with feelings of empathy, euphoria, and a greater appreciation for music. Yet, at higher doses, closed and even open-eye visuals can be present as well as spiritual insights and a “softening” of the ego 3.
Set and setting
Aim to have 2-CB in a controlled, familiar and relaxed environment with trusted companions.
Taking a dose higher than 50mg can cause bodily discomfort, nausea and hyperthermia and an all around unpleasant experience.
Avoid mixing if possible and check the interactions section below if you do as 2-CB can have have dangerous interactions with other drugs.
Here are the most common effects, not everyone necessarily experiences all of them every time they consume the drug and other effects not listed might be felt. The likelihood of experiencing negative effects is far greater at high doses.
The effects are (from positive to negative):
- Euphoria and laughter
- Increased libido
- Enhanced sensory awareness (sound, touch, vision) with closed and open eye visuals and synaesthesia 
- Empathic feelings 
- Feelings of great insight or spirituality
- Increase in body temperature 
- Increased energy
- A change in the perception of time
- Nausea and vomiting*
- Headaches (most likely to occur on the comedown)
- Excessive sweating
- Anxiety and paranoia*
Dose and onset
How? How Much? When? For how Long?
As with any drug, the correct dose for you depends on factors such as weight, gender, metabolism, whether you have taken the drug recently or not, amongst many others.
How you take it matters...
The least harmful way to consume 2C-B is orally: either via ingestion, which can mean swallowing a pill, “bombing” (wrapping 2C-B powder in cigarette paper and swallowing it) 10 or “gumming”, where the drug is rubbed into the gums with a fingertip.
Nasal intake has been reported to be extremely painful and is best avoided 11. Due to this we recommend avoiding this method of consumption. It is worth noting that taking the powder through the nose results in a much faster onset and a shorter total duration 12. There are reports of people smoking 2C-B, however the responses vary widely: some experiencing negative effects, minimal effects or none at all. It also makes it easier to take too much.
- Threshold - 2-5 mg
- Light - 5-15 mg
- Common - 15-25 mg
- Strong - 25-50 mg (taking any amount greater than 50 mg puts the user at serious risk of adverse effects.)13
When do the effects kick in and for how long?
The main effects will likely last between 4 and 8 hours depending on the dose, the individual and the contents of their stomach. If taken orally without being on an empty stomach the onset can be delayed while the effects are slightly prolonged but also slightly diminished.
- Onset: 45-75 minutes
- Come-up: 15-30 minutes
- Plateau: 2-4 hours
- Come-down: 1-2 hours
- After effects: 2-4 hours
- Onset: 1-10 minutes
- Duration: 2-4 hours
- Come-down: 1-2 hours
- After-effects: 2-4 hours
How often can I take it?
If you know of any good source containing this information please email us to email@example.com . We'll credit you in our Team section! Thanks :)
There are certain precautions you should take before doing 2C-B. The advice below helps you to be physically and mentally prepared before doing it. Furthermore, we want you to be safe, and just in case you have a bad experience or some of the unwanted side effects associated with 2C-B, we have also provided information on how to take care of yourself when you are in full swing. Finally, there are those uncomfortable or undesirable effects after the high have worn out, we will provide you with some practical tips on how to have a better calm down and help you to reduce the harm done to your body and brain.
Head over to our ME section if you would like to know more about harm reduction.
- Timing. Consider the time at which you take the drug as the effects are relatively long and this can break havoc with your sleeping pattern.
- See how you feel. Don´t take 2-CB if you feel down or depressed. This can easily lead to a bad trip.
- In good company: Make sure you are in a safe and familiar environment with people you trust. It can mean the difference between a good and bad trip.
- Create a music playlist. Listening to music can be comforting and may reduce the chances of having a negative experience.
- Think about water beforehand. It is easy to become dehydrated during the experience ensure you have water easily available, be it at home or in a club.
- Test the drug. This is especially important as 2C-B is often wrongly sold as ecstasy and vice-versa to a lesser extent. More importantly, harmful additives such as methamphetamine, bath salts and PMMA have been found in pills sold as ecstasy and 2C-B. We recommend that you always test your pills using a drug testing kit. Depending on the country you're in, there are places where you can send samples of your pills to be tested.
- Remember to drink water. Aim for 1-2 cups per hour, too much is just as dangerous as not enough. This is particularly important when dancing or raving.
- Wear layers. Better to wear two lighter layers than just one big coat.This will help you manage temperature fluctuations. Especially if you are going to an inside venue to dance while it is cold outside.
- Have a sober friend with you. A “sitter” is invaluable be it to manage a bad experience in the group to helping you get home.
- Look out for your friends. Check up on your group every now and then, this will also let them know that you are not having a difficult time either. This is especially important if there is no sitter present.
- Have a chat. If a companion is having a difficult experience, it will be very beneficial to talk to them. It can help them feel more grounded and less anxious. Reassure them and use empathic language.
- Remember it will be over soon. If you do have a difficult experience, try to remember that it will be over in a couple hours or less.
- Insomnia. After a 2C-B experience you may have some residual energy leftover which can sometimes cause insomnia. There have been reports of individuals taking a benzodiazepine such as Valium to counteract this 19. Bear in mind that benzodiazepines tend to be regulated prescription drugs in most countries, such as the UK (Class C) 19, and it is an offence to procure them without a doctor’s prescription.
- 5HTP supplementation. Taking one or two capsules before going to bed can reduce the hangover feelings the next morning. Many pharmacies sell it as a food supplement.
- Avoid driving or operating heavy machinery. This is both dangerous and potentially illegal 20. Such activities should definitely not be done for at least 24 hours after the trip. Having enough sleep is crucial to feeling back to normal.
Dependence to 2C-B is unlikely but by no means impossible, but taking it over successive days will greatly reduce its effects due to an increased tolerance, known as tachyphylaxis21. It is therefore self-limiting, as there is little reward for taking the drug continuously.
- UK: Illegal under 1971 Misuse of Drugs Act23
- Germany: Illegal
- France: Illegal
- Netherlands: Illegal
- Spain: Illegal
- Russia: Illegal
- Czech Republic: Posession of less than 200 mg is not a serious criminal offense
- Portugal: Decriminalised
- Rest of Europe: Illegal in all the countries
- USA: Illegal, Schedule I section D 1995
- Canada: Schedule III
Asia and Australia
- Australia: Illegal
- New Zealand: Illegal
- Singapore: Illegal
- Hong Kong: Illegal
- Israel: Illegal
- South Africa: Illegal